Non-Profits and Foundations
Non-profit organizations and private foundations face unique challenges and opportunities. For public charities, this could mean expanding a donor base or implementing strong governance practices. For private foundations, it might mean complex funding structures. We’ve worked with many organizations over the years and have decades of experience to bring to bear on a range of topics.
Why Choose Seiler?
- We know this industry inside and out. From our founding days, partners and staff at our firm have been strongly encouraged to contribute leadership and energies to worthy organizations and causes throughout the Bay Area. This complements our decades of experience as service providers, and gives us a hands-on, practical perspective on what it takes to build and maintain an organization over time.
- We understand all the angles. Beyond our team’s direct experience on non-profit boards and committees, we’ve worked with the full range of participants in the philanthropic community. These include prominent charities, philanthropists, non-profit founders, community foundations, private foundations, and more.
- We specialize in complexity. Many of the organizations we work with have foreign investments, complex funding structures, unrelated business taxable income (UBTI), and tens of millions of dollars under care.
Areas of Expertise
- Financial statement audits, reviews and agreed-upon procedures
- Tax planning and compliance
- Board governance and accountability
- Conflicts of interest and private inurement
- Excise tax
- Executive compensation
- Expenditure responsibility
- Grant making services
- Internal controls
- Impact investments and program-related investments
- Operational best practices
- Capital campaigns